March 17, 2013

Chapter 15: What has come to be


*22 years ago*


Constance was doing laundry one warm spring afternoon to help collect her thoughts. In about four months, she could be on her way to college. That is if she received a scholarship like she was hoping, she was still waiting to hear. She had to get away from that house on top of everything. A single mother was raising Constance or Connie as her friends called her. Her father walked out when she was younger and her mother has had her share of boyfriends. She was on boyfriend #9 at the moment. Though they had been together for the past seven years so that was saying something. Joe Willerton was a good person that took care of Connie and her mother; he was just a very quiet kind of man. Constance knew that she wanted to start her own life and be out on her own. She was a good student, making “average” grades. She wasn’t exactly popular but she was content. Back in her sophomore year Bryce Green crossed her path. He was smart, handsome, funny, and sexy to be completely honest. Bryce always had a way of making her feel special. 



She was about to break out her textbooks when there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it!” she ran to answer. It was James Palmer. He’s been her friend since they were in middle school. Yea you could say he was in the “friend zone” with her. Connie always thought he was cute but she just saw him as just a friend. It was obvious that he liked her she just was not interested in him like that. “Oh hey James. What’s up?” she asked him, though she was expecting it to be Bryce. “Hey Connie, there’s a new movie playing at the theater. Want to go see it?” He smiled at her. He did have a great smile. “I was actually getting ready to study.” She replied overlooking his brilliant white teeth. “Oh come on you’ve been studying all week, all month actually. Take a break and have some fun.” “well Bryce is supposed to be coming over to study.” “Oh yeah Bryce. Got to love him.” His words just dripped with sarcasm, “You’ve been spending a lot of time with him lately.    
We’ve barely had time to hang out.”  he looked at the floor. 


“I know James. It’s just we’re both busy trying to get into this school.” Connie tried to explain. “Yea yea I know. You’re trying to follow mister hunk off to school and leave me behind huh?” James asked. There was silence. “James you know it’s not like that. You could go too if you applied yourself.” she said. “Why? Just to see you two all lovey-dovey? No thanks I see enough of that at school. Listen I’ll catch you later.” He went out the door and back to his bike. James had been her friend for such a long time. She did feel guilty that they hadn’t been spending time together lately. With studying, homework and everything she stayed busy. She sighed and closed the door. “I hate when he gets like this.” Just then the doorbell rang again. Constance quickly opened the door, “Yeah. Oh hey Bryce.” Bryce stood there as handsome as ever. “Hey love, ready to study?” he asked. She could not help but smile. “Yea, I’m ready. Just a little distracted that’s all. What do you want to study first?” she asked as they headed to her room to study. “Was that James that I saw leaving here?” Bryce asked as he sat down. “Yea, he came by to see if I wanted to go to the movies but I declined since we’re getting ready to study.” Bryce looked at her puzzled, “You don’t see it do you?”


“See what exactly?” she tried to play stupid; she was not very good at it. “James likes, no, James loves you. How can you not see that? Everyone in school can see it.” Bryce just smiled in a cocky manner. “I know he likes me, but I highly doubt he loves me. He’s just a good friend anyway he knows that.” Constance replied. “Well yeah of course he knows that. That’s why he gives me the death glare every time we’re together. Not to mention the reason it’s really awkward at times.” Bryce grabbed his book. “Enough about James please. Tell me how your interview went. Did you get that scholarship?” she was eager to hear about her boyfriend's interview with the dean. Bryce was quiet for a second, “Yea actually the interview went great and I was given the scholarship.” “Oh my gosh Bryce that’s great!” she hugged him tight but felt like he was holding back, “what’s wrong?”


“They’re giving me the opportunity for Early Enrollment. If I want to, I can start soon. I have enough credits already to do it.” Bryce told her, reluctantly. Constance backed away from him, “So you’re leaving? When!?” “Probably within the next two weeks or so.” He looked down at the ground, “I’ve really been thinking about this, just in case it happened. I love you Constance I really do and I always will. Not to mention in the fall you can join me.” He gave a gentle smile but he knew by the look on her face she wasn’t pleased. “Yea but truth be told I don't think I could get into that school. No matter how much I studied.” She slumped to the floor. Here she was studying her ass off to get into a school she didn't have the confidence to even get into.  “You can, I know it. It’s only four months and we’ll be together again.” He was saddened a bit, “or is that not what you want?”  She went and sat in her chair, “at this point I have no idea what I want. I want to get out of here.  I have been studying my ass off and yet it still doesn’t seem like it’s enough and now you’re leaving me behind. I don’t know what I want to do but I do know that I don’t want you to leave.” 


He grabbed her and kissed her lips, “I know you don’t but this is a great opportunity for the both of us.” Constance didn’t reply, she just stood there in his arms in silence. She was afraid that she might never get to hold him like this again.

***
Constance didn’t say much at the dinner table, she just kept to herself. She was having a hard time dealing with this. Constance loved Bryce and she always had. Now he was leaving, even if it was for a couple of months, who’s to say he wouldn’t meet someone else and she’s left behind for good. She couldn’t see herself getting into that University, let alone going there while he’s walking around campus with a new girlfriend. She let out a deep sigh, “so this must be what James feels. Guess I better call him to let him in on 
things.” 

James hurried over, whenever Constance called he dropped everything and went running to her. “I can’t believe after all this time this guy is leaving her. I mean I should be grateful since he’ll be out of the picture.” He didn’t even ring the doorbell just yelled a “Hi Mr. and Mrs. Willerton!” as he ran up the stairs.  “Hey Connie. What the hell is going on?” he tried to keep his voice down. For one he was in someone else’s house and second he was trying not to upset her. She was lying on her bed trying to fight back the tears in her eyes, it wasn’t working. “Connie, come on talk to me.”


“He’s leaving me, James. He’s leaving.” She said in a somber tone. “It’s okay Connie.” He wasn’t really sure of what to say, he hadn’t thought that far ahead before he ran over. That was James for you: A hotheaded and impulsive individual. “What did he say? What did you say?” 

“I told him to go. I didn’t want to be the one to hold him back. He's worked so hard to get into this school.” She told him. “Is that really what you want?” He asked her reluctantly, he's loved this girl for a long time. Now he had an opportunity to be with her if he played his cards right but instead he said: “Tell him how you feel Connie. Tell him you want him to stay.” he looked down at his roughed up sneakers.  The words were as if he slammed his foot down on a nail. The pain shot straight to his heart. “You love him Constance tell him that.”


She thought about what James was saying; she honestly couldn't believe he was saying it. She got up and walked around the room. “I can't James. As much as I love him, I don't want to be the reason he was unhappy.” James walked up to her and leaned in for a kiss. She tried to pull away but leaned into it, “His lips are so soft.” She thought. Constance pulled away still feeling him on her lips. “What was that for?” she looked at him completely surprised. “If I didn’t I’d probably never get another chance to. Tell him to stay if that’s want you want, be honest with him.” He told her though he was thinking, “What the hell are you saying!?”
“James. I don’t know what to say.” She told him, scared of what to really say. He just shook his head, “I better go anyway. I’ll call you later.” Before she could respond, her bedroom door closed behind him and he was gone.

***
Constance had barely said anything to anyone over the next couple of weeks. She had not seen James since the kiss and Bryce was busy preparing for his departure. She tried to call him a couple of times but couldn’t get herself to stay on the line long enough. What was she to say? She wanted him to stay but wanted him to go and it looked like he is set on going either way. She sat to watch TV with her mom and Joe but couldn’t get Bryce nor James off her mind. James was great, that kiss was…great. 


If Bryce did leave what would happen between her and James? The sound of the phone ringing snapped her out of her thoughts and interrupted the episode of The Dinosaurs that her folks were watching. “Hello?” said her mother as she answered, “Connie, it’s for you.” She reluctantly answered. “Hello? Hey Bryce.” you could hear the relief in her voice. “Hey Connie. I just wanted to say goodbye.” His voice was low and somber, “My flight leaves in about an hour. I wish I had come by to see you but I’ve just been so busy with everything.” She did not respond.


“I love you, you know that right?” Bryce added, “I have to do this Connie I hope you understand that and who knows what the future holds.” she did not respond yet again. “Alright, I have to go.” and with hesitation, he hung up. Constance stood there with the dial tone resonating in her ear. “Goodbye.” she whispered as she hung up the receiver.  


She went back to watch the TV but she really wasn’t interested in the show. The love of her life was walking out of her life and she felt powerless to stop him. Constance decided she was going to take a shower and head to bed when the doorbell rang. “Who the hell is it now?” Joe mumbled. “It’s okay I’ll answer it Joe.” She replied. She opened the door to find Bryce standing on her doorstep. “What? What are you doing here? You have a plane to catch.” She was surprised to see him. “I know but I don’t want to leave without doing this.” He grabbed her and kissed her lips. “I love you Constance Willerton. I always will and we’ll meet again. I promise you that.” he held her close. “I love you too.” 


It took all her strength to let him go and say goodbye.
Would she really see him again? She hoped she would.





*End of Chapter*
Up next Chapter 16: Faithful 

(note from author: Chapter 16 will be another flashback chapter)

2 comments:

  1. *Squeals*

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    LOVED that chapter! James ticked me off at first but he rectified his ways after encouraging Constance to tell Bryce how she felt even though she didn't! (I still hate him, though!) I can't wait for the next chapter so you better get a writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have excellent writing. I absolutely loved this line: "The words were as if he slammed his foot down on a nail. The pain shot straight to his heart." I felt like I could feel exactly what James was feeling.

    Ugh, I can't wait for James and Constance to get together. :P I like Bryce but... James is a Palmer so.... xD

    ~Calista

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

Sims 3 Story: Cameron Palmer has always thought he was meant for more. It was kind of hard to stay positive with the life he had. He had been at odds with his father for so long and was somewhat neglected by his mother at times. As secrets come out, people's pasts are revealed, with the love of his life by his side, Can they hold it together?

About